WinRAR was created by Russian developer Evgeny Roshal in 1993. The first version worked from the command line on the MS-DOS operating system and did not have a graphical shell. Currently, there are WinRAR versions for most OS (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Android) and platforms (desktop and mobile).
WinRAR archiver is a shareware program; after installation, you will have 40 days to test its basic features and unlimited use. After this period, each time you start, a window will appear with a payment reminder. This is the only limitation that will appear for a non-activated archiver license.
WinRAR can work with huge files; the maximum volume limit is over 8 billion GB. Text documents are most efficiently compressed, and media files are the worst. With the help of an archiver, it is convenient to transfer a large number of files over the network. Just put them in one archive and send them by mail or cloud storage in one file.
- Unpacking archives: ACE, ARJ, bz2, CAB, GZ, ISO, JAR, LZH, RAR, TAR, UUE, XZ, Z, ZIP, ZIPX, 7z;
- Creation of ZIP and RAR archives;
- Adding comments to archives that will be displayed in the main program window when they are opened;
- Creation of self-extracting archives that are saved with the .exe extension and do not require WinRAR installed on the computer to extract them;
- Splitting large archives into several parts (volumes) for more convenient transmission over the network;
- Protecting archives from unauthorized access by encrypting and setting a password on them (which is almost impossible to guess if it is long). Protection from damage by adding data for recovery;
- Support for saving your settings to a file and applying them on another computer (a useful feature for system administrators);
- Drag-and-drop technology support;
- Changing the look with themes;
- Ability to control the program via the command line;
- The presence of a wizard that simplifies the work with the archiver.
- High compression ratio and speed of creating archives.
- Engages all processor cores to increase the efficiency of its work.
- Ease of use - you can create an archive or extract it by right-clicking on the required files. There is no need to run WinRAR separately; it is built into the operating system explorer (its desktop versions).
- No ads or intrusive services.